He was born to Edgar Lee Houston Eidson and Maude Banks Andrews Eidson in the Star Point Community near Glenloch on September 17, 1914. He graduated from Centralhatchee High School in 1933, and went to work at the blanket mill in Arnco, Georgia. Millard married (1934) the love of his life, Grace Maurine Watson, in Glenloch, and their first child, Edd Larry Eidson, was born there. Their second child, Beverly Jo Eidson, was born in Arnco. Millard was also quite active in the Arnco community, where he helped to organize a Sunday School and later attended church services in the new auditorium built by Arnco Mills.
He helped to organize a Boy Scout Troop, was a trustee of the troop, and served for a time as Scout Master. He played basketball with the mill team every winter, and the team won the trophy almost every year. In 1943, he and his family moved to Savannah to work in the Southeastern Shipyard during WWII. After the war, he and Grace returned to Heard County and bought a home in the Glenloch community. In this new location, they had two more sons: Steven Victor and Michael Stanley. Millard worked at Callaway Mills in LaGrange for a period of time, and then went to work for Carroll Creamery in 1957 and retired in 1977.
Millard served as a deacon at Glenloch Baptist Church since 1940. He was honored by his church with an “Appreciation Day” for 60 years service as a deacon in April of 2000. He taught an adult Sunday School class for many years and, though he was no longer able to teach, the classroom was named — and remains — “The Millard Eidson Class.” Millard loved his pastor and his church family at Glenloch, and they were a major part of his life.
Millard and Grace frequently said that one of the most enjoyable times of their lives was when they celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary by making a trip to the Holy Land in 1984. Millard said that seeing the old hills and fields where Jesus walked on this earth strengthened his faith and made the Bible come alive for him.
Millard began to take a few painting lessons in his 80’s, and continued to paint up until the last few months of his life. Painting brought him pleasure, and his paintings brought joy to his family. His vision was weak and almost non-existent in his left eye, which made it even more amazing that he was able to paint with depth and beauty.
Though he kept the “home place” in Glenloch, Millard moved to The Oaks of Carrollton Assisted Living facility in 2003 to be near his beloved wife, Grace, who was a resident in the Alzheimer’s Unit there. When Grace died, he continued to live at The Oaks until his medical condition deteriorated to the point that he was placed in Carrollton’s Tanner Medical Center and was later transferred to the Hospice Unit of Southwest Christian Care in Union City.
Millard was preceded in death by Grace, his precious wife of 69 years; his father and mother, Edgar Lee and Maude Banks Andrews Eidson; his brothers, Lloyd Andrews and Travis Eidson; and his half-brother and sisters Ed, Mae Jackson, Neat Gordon and Annie Lou Jackson.
He is survived by his children, Larry and Amelia Eidson, Jo and Bob Croom, Steve and Allison Eidson, and Mike and Lori Eidson; seven grandchildren, Lenne Eidson Espenschied, Jonathan Eidson, Danny Eidson, Malenka Croom Warner, Vanessa Eidson Carroll, Michelle Eidson Scott, and Ben Eidson; 11 great-grandchildren, Katelyn and Cameron Warner, Erich and Leslie Espenschied, Josh and Allie Eidson, Grace and Shelly Eidson, Tommy and Stephanie Carroll, and Gavin Scott.
Visitation with the family will be 4 to 7 p.m, November 23, 2012, at the Martin and Hightower Heritage Chapel in Carrollton. Visitation will be at the church from 10 a.m. until 11 a.m. on Saturday, November 24, prior to the service at 11 a.m. Services will be led by Rev. Neil Aubrey, Pastor, with participation by Rev. Terry Harper, Rev. Jonathan Eidson, and Rev. Robert Croom. Interment will be in the family plot of the church’s cemetery.
Messages of condolences may be sent to the family at www.martin-hightower.com.
Martin & Hightower Heritage Chapel, Carrollton.