The child was found unresponsive early Friday night inside a plastic playhouse in the Rock Springs Mobile Home Subdivision.
The sheriff’s office said that initial reports were that the child had ingested an unknown quantity of a variety of medications, including anti-anxiety, sleeping, cholesterol and heart medications. The child was flown by helicopter to Egleston Children’s Hospital in Atlanta.
The investigation is ongoing, but the sheriff’s office said preliminary indications are that the medications came from an abandoned mobile home very near where the child had been playing with friends. After finding the medication they returned to the playhouse in the child’s yard and began taking the capsules apart and pouring out the ingredients.
At some point the victim swallowed some of the medication and then became sleepy. The friends then told the child’s grandmother with whom the 6-year-old had been staying, according to the sheriff’s office.
The child’s parents were not at home at the time of the incident.
The sheriff’s office said it is continuing to monitor the progress of the victim and has been told that the child may be released early next week if conditions improve and if a safety plan has been approved through the Department of Family and Children Services.